Survey Design

Assessment 2 Instructions
Survey Design (30%)

Situation
Theoretically base yourself as working as a Research Associate in the Department of Planning and
Urban Development, Faculty of Built Environment, UNSW (Chief Investigator: Dr. Andrew Song). You
are proposing a survey on an actual planning-related issue. Firstly, search a newspaper article
dealing with any planning issue of your interest, which is presumably controversial or attracts
attention from residents.

Documents for the assignment
1. Survey design (1,000 – 1,500 words)
– Introduction:
◦ Backgrounds, reasons and significance of the survey
– Survey objective(s) (*distinguish between questionnaire and interview):
◦ What you want to achieve through the survey and what is the focus of the survey?
◦ How do you want to use the survey outcomes?*
– Sampling design:
◦ Target population (area coverage): who you want to conduct the survey with
◦ Sampling method*: how you select participants and why you choose that method
◦ Data collection method*: how you recruit / contact participants and why you choose that
method
◦ Sample size*: how many participants you need
◦ Time schedule*
– Questionnaire design:
◦ Concept(s) and variables (operationalisation of the key concepts): provision of conceptual and
operational definitions
◦ Overview, structure, composition of the questions
– Ethical considerations
*** This documents should be written in full sentences. Please stick to suggested subheadings.

2. Cover letter (addressed to potential participants): 1 page
– Survey title

– Introduction of the survey project: backgrounds and aims of the survey, significance of the
survey
– Introduction of the questionnaire: overview of the questions, instruction for participants how to
complete the questionnaire)
– Any Important information that participants need to know before deciding to participate
– Your contacts
*** Please refer to the example cover letters on Moodle

3.A. Questionnaire
– No more than 20 questions in total
– Inclusion of all levels of measurement (nominal, ordinal, and scale)
– Inclusion of a Likert scale (optional: other scaled questions)
3.B. Interview guide
– No more than 5 questions

4. Participant Information Statement
– Fill out the template on Moodle (marked in blue italics)
*** Please do not change the font

5. Appendix: Newspaper article
– Attach a newspaper article that prompted the survey

Submission
– Combine the 5 documents in the above order and then scan them for one submission.
– Submission method: through Turnitin in Moodle (Due date: 27 October)
– Also, please hand in paper copy in class, on 24 October or 31 October

Marking criteria (to be rescaled to 30%)
1. Survey design (40%)
– Identification of a clear topic: alignment of the topic with the issues identified in the newspaper
article
– Appropriate sampling design

– Appropriate questionnaire design: operationalisation, inclusion of key variables / questions
relevant to the topic
– Considerations for ethical issues

2. Cover letter (10%)
– Effective introduction of the survey
– Inclusion of key information

3. Questionnaire (25%) + Interview (15%) (= total 40%)
– Mixed use of different levels of measurement
– Effective use of scaled questions (for example, Likert scale)
– Appropriate interview questions (to obtain qualitative data)
– Compliance with the principles of questionnaire construction

4. Participant Information Statement (10%)
– Effective provision of information about ethical matters

5. Appendix: a newspaper article (requirement)

 

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Download [467.17 KB]

 

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Download [3.52 MB]

 

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Download [925.00 KB]