Analysing the Cultural & Creative Industries – Semester 1 Assessment
Weeks 1-5 – 1,000 Word Essay
1. Is ‘high culture’ elitist? Critically discuss this statement with reference to relevant
academic literature and an example of your choice.
2. With reference to the material examined in the Week 2 seminar, compare and critically
evaluate how different models conceptualize and categorize cultural and creative industries.
What benefits or problems do you find with these models?
3. Tastes for particular cultural forms are not neutral but reflect and reproduce structures of
power’. Discuss this contention and relate it to ONE of the following examples: education
practices and curriculum, OR the family OR cultural policy.
4. Why did Walter Benjamin see the disappearance of ‘aura’ as a potentially positive
development in ‘the age of mechanical reproduction’ and do you think his assessment holds
true within the context of the 21 st century? Please draw on two examples from contemporary
culture to support your argument.
5. What role does history and culture play in different national approaches to non-profit
creative and cultural organisations? Illustrate your answer focusing on one sector or industry
from at least two countries.
In your answer, we would expect to see evidence of both reading and understanding of core
concepts and theorists, of the set texts, and also of relevant independent reading and
Please ensure that you read the departmental style guide, for information on formatting and
referencing, the sample essays provided, and the marking criteria, so you get a clear sense
of what is expected.