Task description: In this assessment, using the NPD/NSD concepts and frameworks that
were discussed in seminars;
(a) You will critically analyse how this stage of the NPD/NSD was undertaken in two
video case studies of high-tech firms that have been provided on Blackboard.
(iOmniscient and Noja Power)
Two vedio： iOmniscient, Sydney ： https://youtu.be/nVZKfRQi9xA
NOJA Power, Brisbane： https://youtu.be/N80uXXzoENs
(b) In addition, you will use published information from two other technology firms to
strengthen your discussion. (two other cases such as Apple and Huawei)(c) Your focus will be limited to ‘Sales forecasting, product development,
marketing and post-marketing issues’ (we have covered the first half of the NPD
process in Reflection 1)
Submission format: You must adopt following format in your analysis. Use the headings as
applicable to case material. (You may not find evidence for all these stages Or the firms must
have followed them in an informal way).
(1) The firm
Brief description of firms, their core product/s, degree of innovation and competitive
advantage (newness and value creation – problem-solving capacity).
(2) Sales forecasting
• How was the sales forecasting undertaken? What methods? To what extent the cases
used the methods discussed in seminars or did they follow a different way to
determine sales potential of the product/service concept?
(3) Product protocol
• Product protocol – how did the firm allocated and managed tasks needed for the
timely completion of the product?
• How were the core protocol elements (eg: target market) were determined
(4) Product design
• To what extent product design was important to the firm?
• Design process – issues encountered and innovative aspects of product/service
• See the applicability of frameworks discussed in seminars (eg: functionality vs
aesthetics, contributions of design to new product goals, design goals and constraints,
(5) Team building issues
• What emphasis the firm placed on building effectives product/service development
• What was preferred team format adopted (functional, matrix and venture)?
(6) Product use testing:
• To what extent they used the methods discussed in seminars? (Alpha, Beta and
Gamma testing) or did they had different ways of product use testing?
(7) Product launch and marketing strategy
• How was the product launch done? Was there a formal product launch?
• To what extent they used the strategic decision-making framework discussed in
• How was the first sale achieved? How did it help in subsequent sales?
• Subsequent modifications/improvements to the product
• Any evidence of entrepreneurial marketing strategies to reach mainstream customers
who are generally sceptical about new technology? (examples below)
o Gaining legitimacy in the market
o Use of a reference site
o Developing a compelling unique selling proposition (USP)
o Competitive differentiation
o Compatibility with current technology used in the market
• To what extent they used services in their product marketing strategy?
• If the core ‘product’ was a service, what stages of the service development adopted?
Training staff with the needed skills? How were the employees empowered?
(8) Public liability and environmental/societal issues
• Was the product’s marketing campaign affected by any product liability or
(9) References (only those used in the report)
Word limit: Your report will be limited to FOUR (4) A4 pages in New Times Roman 12
point INCLUDING references.
Easingwood and harrington (2002)
Linowsw, J.S. Summary Crossing the Chasm
MKTG7505 Seminar 10 High-tech marketing SSS 8-09-19
Mort, Weerawardena & Liesch (2012)
Competing on services + NSD process + Product use testing
Design and team building issues
NSD process reading-Scheuing & Johnson (1989).pd
Product launch planning
Sales forecasting + product protocol
Comment of reflection 1