The Virtual Business Enterprise (VBE) learning resource developed for ACCT1101 is a 3D virtual world created
around a small economy consisting of up to 20 student-run virtual businesses and supported by a central ‘bank’
in each virtual world.
In teams of 4 students, you will manage your business in the VBE over 2 trading sessions representing one
financial year, while competing with other businesses in the virtual economy.
Assessment relating to the VBE is as follows:
Submission of a business plan for the team’s VBE business, due noon Wednesday 25 September (30%).
A range of resources to assist with the completion of your Business Plan Assignment includes:
• an exemplar VBE business, Pam’s Party Shop, is threaded throughout the course materials;
• an online lecture, ‘Developing a Business Plan’ (week 5), and related tutorial session (week 6)
• assignment Milestone document setting out timelines for a progressive completion of the Business Plan
• a student support group to support students during the VBE practical sessions, GoogleDoc creation and
group issues around assignment completion;
• individual consultation with teaching staff is also used to support content questions for assignment
• a template for the Business Plan assignment, including instructions, are available on the ACCT1101
2. Student Support Group
The ACCT1101 Student Support Group (SSG) are available during the inductions and trading sessions, then
student/group consultations during weeks 6 – 9. The SSG assist students with
• support during the induction sessions
• in-world support during the two trading sessions e.g. passwords, login assistance, answering questions
during the trading sessions using the SSG gmail account (firstname.lastname@example.org )
• assistance with the creation of a GoogleDoc for the team’s assignment
• delegating assignment tasks, finding missing group members, poor team dynamics etc
• follow up on team issues
• referrals to the course coordinator
3. Peer Reviews: All students are required to complete and submit an individual peer assessment form.
Students wanting to have a variation in the allocation of assignment marks based on group member’
contributions must advise the course coordinator after submission by email with the GoogleDoc link (enrol the
course coordinator with full edit access to the GoogleDoc) plus any other relevant documentation
and before the assignment results have been released. The course coordinator will consider the peer reviews
and the GoogleDoc etc. The details of any reallocation of marks will be on the assignment title page.
4. Criteria & Marking:
• An exemplar business plan and rubric is available on the ACCT1101 Blackboard site.
• Business plans that exceed 10% of the word count may incur a 10% penalty of the total available marks
5. Assignment submission
One team member only undertakes originality checks and uploads the VBE Business Plan through TurnItIn
Submission: electronic submission via Blackboard Assessment link.