Life History of a Pebble
Assignment 5: Essay
1000 words ± 10%
Please give your word count (references not included). Please write proper essays, in minimum 11point font, 1.5 spaced and in full sentences and no breaks (line spaces) between paragraphs (Word often does this now, so turn off). There should be no sub-headings. Life History of a Pebble.
Tell the story.
These essays can be image rich. But you must refer to images in the text and annotate all image.
6-8 references APA style
Choose from one of the essay topics:
1. Discuss the history of the silkworm, the mulberry tree, and silk production. You might wish to focus on one aspect, such as the tree, worm-care etc.
2. Discuss the impacts of one feral animal in Australia (cats, dogs, camels, etc) on Australian native wildlife or soils.
3. Discuss the floristic links between South Africa, Australia, and Antarctica. You might wish to focus on one genus, such as Eucalyptus, or a plant family, such as the Proteaceae, which includes the genus Banksia and Protea.
4. Discuss the main contributions to natural history of Alexander von Humboldt. You might wish to focus on his expeditions to South America, or his long-term impacts on ecology.
5. Imagine your ancestors’ possible journeys over the last 70,000 years. What landscapes might they have lived in and what plants, animals, and climates experienced?
6. Describe and discuss the use of biological substances/ biota to produce colours for textiles and paints. You might wish to focus on the historical search for colours from biota, a particular colour and how it is produced, or one region.
7. Discuss the life history of a pebble. There is some good reading on this. Tell the pebble’s story. Life History of a Pebble.
8. What are mushrooms and toadstools? Discuss their terminology, their uses in food, and their toxicity………….
or ORDER A CUSTOM PAPER