Assignment 2: CATALOGUE
1000 words ± 10%
Catalogue and report on the natural history of FIVE items all from one
category as study of SEEN, ‘LIVE’ materials (i.e. not imaged from the
internet). You will address questions that are specific for each category. All
species should have their scientific name (genus, species).
Select one category from:
(a) Made objects from natural materials (but not houses!) (e.g. blankets,
woven baskets, flax sails) from displays in museums, dealers, galleries, etc.
(b) Geological OR soil specimens on display in museums
(c) Plant OR animal fossils found in museums
(d) Seafood sold at Victoria Markets or similar
(e) Vegetables OR fruit sold in Melbourne grocer shops
Made objects: questions
1. Where did the material originate from? (plant or animal)
2. What is its method of production?
3. Who is involved in the making?
4. What travel route did the object take?
Geological/soil specimens: questions
1. Where was it collected?
2. What is it used for?
3. What is its symbolic significance?
4. What is its Impact on the environment from its extraction method?
Plant/ animal fossils: questions
1. When was the time of living entity?
2. What is left of it today?
3. What were the environmental conditions of living entity?
4. Does it have any living descendants?
1. Identify Family name of animal, species
2. Was it wild caught or farmed?
3. Where and how was it fished or farmed?
4. What is its conservation status (give reference)?
Vegetables OR fruit: questions
1. What is the origin of original plant? (i.e: centre of domestication)
2. Where was this (piece of) vegetable or fruit grown before it came to market?
3. Is it a cultivar/ variety? Origin or story behind the development of the cultivar?
4. To what diseases is the vegetable or fruit susceptible? Discuss one disease briefly, giving the
organism’s species name…. PLANT OR ANIMAL FOSSILS FOUND IN MUSEUMS…….
or ORDER A CUSTOM PAPER